Saturday, April 17, 2010

Am I Fancy?










"Mommy, am I fancy?"

This is the question filling the house as two young girls go bouncing down the hall decked out in every last piece of "play clothes" they own. Our oldest, 4, in a tutu, slippers, 2 headbands, a crown, and many necklaces draped around her waist, neck, and arms. The younger sister, 2 1/2, following close behind twirling and spinning in a princess dress, with socks on her hands, 2 different shoes, a crown, and a tiger tail. They were workin it! :)


They would ask each other "Do I look pretty?" They would ooh and ahh over each others selection and then come bursting out of the play room to ask me, again, "Momma, do I look fancy?" I would confirm what they already felt and they would dance and twirl around the house singing and giggling until they made their way upstairs and would exchange pieces of their ensemble with each other and then start the parade over again.





Last night when I was trying to fold laundry the twins, 18 month, took clothes and draped them over their heads and then would look up at my husband and I and smile and look at us for approval. They, even though they could not say the word, wanted to know if they were pretty/ fancy.



It is a wonderful characteristic that God has put in girls. We all want to know, "Am I pretty? Am I loved? Do you accept me?" We need those special people in our lives, especially the dads, to notice and approve. Its a trait that we are trying to nurture. Yes, sometime I wish they would not pull all the clothes out at once, or that they wouldn't come dancing across the floor that I'm trying to clean, or that they would stop asking me the same question over and over, especially when I am trying to return a phone call; but overall I love that they want/ need my approval. And I love that they love who they are. They are beautiful in their own ways, and with 4 princesses in one castle there is always a competion to get more complements.

We want them to know they are physically beautiful, and that outward beauty is not the clothes you wear, and is way more than how your skin looks. I try to be intentional about telling them they are beautiful in all their stages- when they are dressed for church, just out of the tub in nothin' but a towel, or in the garden covered with mud. But more importantly we want them to be inwardly beautiful. We want them to strive after the things of Christ and to ask Him through out the day, "Am I fancy?" If I were to stop during my day and ask my heavenly dad "Do you think I'm fancy?" what would his response would be. I pray that our actions, attitudes, thoughts and words will be beautiful, uplifting, and honoring.


Lord help me to have a "beautiful" attitude and to make the most of each opportunity to let our girls know that they are beautiful beacuse You have made them to glorify and enjoy you forever. :)

1 comment: